DA GUNJA WAS EVERYWHERE MON!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Man I have to say that after the West Coast Blues & Roots Festival last night I felt fairly stoned, and I so didn't even smoke anything. But I didn't have to, I don't think I have ever inhaled so much secondary pot smoke in my life. The place was alive with the stuff hahaha!!

So the show, well it was certainly one of the more mellow events (see above pot reference) I have been to in the last 12 months. Very laid back but still a bloody good day and night. This is of course helped by the company you keep isn't it, some of whom are pictured below.




Chris, Nick &Caz


Caz, Shahn & Bree

Trammy

Bumped int her outside the Harbour Stage licenced area, I hadn't really chatted with her for ages, she's such a cutie, looking forward to catching up with her in 2 weeks time :o)

Those not pictured include Nat (who gets huge thanks for sending me my pics so I could blog em, I so owe you a big drink and a big hug when we next hook up), Linda, Jarrod, Pete and Mars. Good crew, great day!

Now who did I see, caught The Beautiful Girls when we first got there, they were good, then G Love and Special Sauce, not bad but not my thing really. Then came Xavier Rudd, he opened with his huge hit Let Me Be, which proved a huge opening and sadly he had nothing to follow up with, cos lets face it, all of Xaviers other songs just sound the same :o( He was followed by The Waifs, I really like The Waifs but I think I've seen a little too much of them in the past 12 months, but they were still cool.

New paragraph, because then came - for me - the reason I bought this $80 dollar ticket, the legends that are The Violent Femmes. Great songs like Blister in The Sun, I Held Her in My Arms and Gone Daddy Gone flowed forth, incredible stuff, yes they are too old and too fat and 70% of the crowd wasn't even born when they were huge, but man they sounded great. Although one too many slow songs - hey Bree ;o) But I can now say I saw them play live, that's cool.

The above is a pic of the Violent Femmes I took using my phone camera, kinda freaky how it came out, makes em look ghostly or saintly - read it how you will!!

Then Nat and I caught the end of Angelique Kidjos set on the Esplanade Stage, she had half of her crowd dancing on stage with her!! She has an amazing voice, would have liked to have caught more but she clashed with the Femmes :o(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We were over there because Jack Johnson was closing the show on the Harbour Stage, which was a highlight for most of the crowd, he even had Xavier and G Love join him on stage for a few numbers, but for me the best thing about Jack Johnson and his laid back surfy music is his film clip with Ben Stiller :o) But the crowd loved him and it was he who most had come to see, so the atmosphere was great.

The other highlight of the night was the (depending on who you listened to) Monkey Man, Monkey Guy, Bloody Dickhead or Tool. This guy - pic below - climbed/shimmied up one of the huge Norfolk Pines at the venue and got a birds eye view of Xavier Rudds show, kudos to you sir and your tree climbing skills hehehehe :o)


Okay that about wraps this baby up, I'm away for a week, so no updates till next weekend probably, catch ya all then!!

Comments