TODAYS' BIZARRE CLIP

I'm not really sure I can explain this video all that well. Morrissey tries to sum it up though
Little kid: "Where are we going?"
Morrissey: "We're all going mad"
Little kid: "I thought we were going to Kew Gardens"

But then Sandie Shaw (60's pop singer) suddenly turns up and Johnny Marr strums a guitar whilst she sings a song. I did a quick check and found this on Wikipedia which may help explain it....

Later in 1986, a new phase in her career began after she received a letter from "two incurable Sandie Shaw fans" - singer Morrissey and lead guitarist Johnny Marr of The Smiths - telling her that "The Sandie Shaw legend cannot be over yet — there is more to be done." Shaw's husband was a friend of Geoff Travis of Rough Trade Records, the label to which The Smiths were signed, and she agreed to record some of their songs
But it still doesn't explain this clip, truly bizarre


Comments

Anonymous said…
As someone who lives in a house with a number of Smiths records (and, yes, that Sandi Shaw album) this clip made my day.

Well, until Sandi started singing a song that was not Hand In Glove.

Curiously, I can't seem to find any information about the show other than the fact The Smiths were on it.

Part of me wonders if it is some bizarre hoax. And yet it's so authentically 1984.
Anonymous said…
the problem is you're trying to find an explanation for 1984 ,
when quite simply they and thir manger and the Data run people where just coked outa their heads -Reb.
stu said…
hahaha I think you nailed it