CADILLAC RANCH

One of the must do's on our trip along route 66 was to visit the famous Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas. When we first arrived it struck me that the setting laid out in front of me didn't match the pictures I'd seen of this place. The cars were in a flat muddy field, I remember them being in a grassy field, maybe there's a drought. But anyway, here we were...

Wikipedia has since solved that mystery for me "It was originally located in a wheat field, but in 1997 the installation was quietly moved by a local contractor two miles (three kilometers) to the west, to a cow pasture along Interstate 40, in order to place it further from the limits of the growing city."

On what was probably the coldest day of our trip so far we parked up the car and made the walk into the paddock to go see these cars....

Cadillac Ranch
Cadillac RanchCadillac Ranch
Cadillac Ranch

You're encouraged to "colour in" the Cadillacs but we weren't aware of this prior to arriving. I checked a fair few of the used cans that littered the site but I was all out of luck. So the Amarillo Caddies are still free of my mad scribbling skillz

Cadillac RanchCadillac Ranch

This sign, put up by the local authorities forbade anyone doing any graffiti this side of the fence, so naturally everything this side of the fence, including the sign, was covered in graffiti. Love it...

Graffiti Cadillac Ranch

some much larger and different pics from our visit to the Cadillac Ranch up over at YeLPanorama right now


Comments